Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm BaaaAAAAAaaaAAAAck

I decided to start up with the blog again...

I've been thinking that when I was doing this blog, I was lifting more regularly and making more progress with my training. I doubt much of anyone gets anything out of reading this other than me, but it gives me something to be accountable to. And, it's a redundant record of my training, so that's a plus.


For a little recent background, I started a training cycle last week for a USAPL powerlifting meet in Olympia, WA on March 4-6th. I'll be flying back from a business trip on the 5th but I don't compete till the 6th, so this will be new territory for me (stress of travel, conference speaking, lots of walking the week before the meet instead of taking it relatively easy).

Last week was mostly feeling out my 1RM, identifying what I need to work on over the next 5 weeks. Tonight was DE Upper:

A1. Bench w/ 20# chains

2 x 8 x 45#
2 x 5 x 95#
2 x 5 x 145#
2 x 3 x 185#
6 x 2 x 205# + 1 chain/side

This felt really good, once I remembered to keep my back and arch tight. I lost about 25% of my bench since we moved to Seattle, so I'm stressing form a lot now to get most of it back, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concentrating more on deadlift and squat during this cycle...

B1. 1-Armed OH Press

4 x 6 x 45#

B2. Wide-Grip Pullups

4 x 6 x BW + medium band

Trying to get more unilateral work in for my arms/shoulders, so I am working the 1-armed OH press and other stuff in to my cycle. Also, my fat ass can't do many body weight pullups any more, so the band is assisting for now. The goal is to be able to do this set with no bands by summer.

I'm also trying to get some back work in on every training session, since I supposedly have Degenerative Disc Disease and want to keep my back strong and my form tight.

C1. 1-Armed Hammer Curls (prehab)

3 x 8 x 40#

C2. Band Pressdowns (prehab)

3 x 8 x medium band

C3. Palloff Press Holds

3 x 20s x large band

I trained with my lovely wife, so it took longer than usual- 1 hour, 45 minutes. Overall it was a good session and was a good way to set the tone for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment