Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kneees! Everywhere kneeeees! Save yourself!

After a planned and unplanned off day, I got back to it tonight with DE Lower. I underestimated the recovery I'd need this week, so I decided to cut my losses yesterday after working late and just pushed everything back a day.

I almost didn't train tonight either- my back has been bothering me (lower back is where the discs tend to get inflamed), but that doesn't usually deter me as lifting usually makes it feel better. What was more concerning was the back of my left knee giving way when I walked up stairs leaving work today. I changed my training plan (removed step-ups and OH lunges, added in cleans) and sucked it up.

A1. Squat w/20# chains

5 x 135#
5 x 185#
5 x 225# (w/ 2 chains)
1 x 315# (w/ 2 chains) - this was quite wobbly so I had to reset after 1
2 x 315# (w/ 2 chains) - at this point I realized that this was too much, so I dropped the weight for the remainder of the reps.
3 x 3 x 285# (w/ 2 chains)

B1. Snatch-grip cleans
4 x 6 x 135#

At this point I was getting some serious lower back pump, likely due to my lower back being inflamed before lifting. I think I need to start icing it a bit more often. For what it's worth, I've had this back pain since college, long before I started powerlifting, and I've learned how to manage the pain. I've never suspected that powerlifting caused it.

C1. External Shoulder Rotation (prehab)

3 x 8 x small band


C2. Internal Shoulder Rotation (prehab)

3 x 8 x 10#

D1. Ab Fallouts

4 x 6 x bw

D2. Fat Man Pullups

4 x 6 x bw

I iced my left knee and my back while drinking my post-workout shake, and both feel perfectly fine now.

Overall, a good session. I hope the knee thing clears up- it's deadlift day this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment