Monday, November 28, 2011

A few of my favorite things

Squat is my bestest buddy ever. I love the squat. The rack is my happy place. That being said, I love the three movements that I did today. I've always enjoyed cleaning, and the overhead squat and clean and jerk are pretty new for me, but I just love the movements. I could have probably pushed another couple of sets of cleans at 175, but the gym was closing soon and I wanted to be sure I could get the overhead squats in.

A. Warmup/Mobility
1 Mile on stationary bike
misc arm and leg stretches (15 minutes)

B. Clean and Jerk

5 x 45#
5 x 95#
5 x 115#
5 x 115#
5 x 135#
5 x 135#
5 x 135#

After the first set of 115#, I thought I was done going up in weight for the night, but the second set felt absolutely great. I was pretty solid on the second half all of the way through, although I need to work on catching it lower.

C. Power Clean

5 x 135#
5 x 155#
5 x 155#
5 x 155#

I should have pushed harder on this, but it was good to have a set at a weight that was completely manageable. I think I may stick a little low on my cleans for a couple of weeks and be sure that I'm getting proper technique into the jumping position.

D. Overhead Barbell Squat

5 x 45#
7 x 55#
7 x 65#
7 x 75#
7 x 95#
7 x 95#
7 x 95#

This felt great. By the end I was struggling with keeping the bar locked out, and after watching some videos of overhead squats, I think I'm keeping my grip too close (I'm at pretty close to a clean grip)

Today's training tune comes to you from the letter M:

1 comment:

  1. This is my squat rack. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My squat rack is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My squat rack without me is useless. Without my squat rack, I am useless.

    ReplyDelete