Sunday, November 27, 2011

guess who's back?

Not to hard coded, this is my first post here, but work forced me to take a bit of a hiatus from anything but running (a week and change feels like forever to be away from the rack).

I haven't set myself up with any sort of program since moving yet, I've basically just been going in, doing whatever movements I feel like, and trying to increase my weights (although, due to the somewhat sporadic schedule I've kept recently, that last one hasn't happened as much as I'd have liked it to). Generally when I go in to lift I try to do one or two of what I consider my core movements (squat, DB or Barbell bench, standing press, deadlift, power clean), something bodyweight to failure (dips and pull ups, usually, sometimes push ups or squats), and then two auxiliary movements of some sort. So that's the overview of the time I spend in the gym, hopefully getting that more structured in the weeks to come as my work schedule becomes more dependable.

My workout from yesterday, somewhat truncated because I needed to be somewhere:

A. Warmup/mobility

1 mile on exercise bike
shoulder dislocations
miscellaneous leg and shoulder stretches (not sure of the names of most of them)

B. Squats, low bar, A2G

5 x 45#
5 x 45#
5 x 95#
5 x 135#
5 x 185#
5 x 205#
5 x 225#
5 x 225#
6 x 225#

I've recently gone from lifting a bit heavier and doing full squats (parallel) to going down to an ass to grass squat. On one hand, it's a royal pain as the gym I'm going to lacks a proper power rack and I have to stand on plates. On the other hand, I'm much more comfortable down below parallel than I was previously, and I'm starting to feel that in my cleans.

C. Deadlifts

5 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 295

With how less-than-stellar my squat was today, I maybe should have held off on the deadlifts, but I was feeling it. I wanted to bump up to 315, but my form was close to breaking on the 295s, so that will have to wait for a bit more isometric back strength.

D. Pull ups, wide grip

3 x BW
4 x BW
3 x BW

E. Turkish Get-Ups

5 x 30#
5 x 30#
5 x 30#

This was the noise pumped into my head for the heavy squat and deadlift sets:

4 comments:

  1. Wait, who are you, i did invite you...(i kid, i kid!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and where did I get that awful posting lifting tunes idea? :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Training music is life! Hehe, well, welcome to the pit!

    ReplyDelete