Wednesday, January 18, 2012

the day we rise

         Man, I am LOVING this whole CrossPit thing.  This is always what I've felt Crossfit should be, specific focus.  Not that I do or don't like Crossfit, I'm just a huge fan of specificity, or at least a degree of it.  I know, i know, children training for the pros at age 9, blah blah, hence the qualifier "a degree of it".  

        I dunno, totally snobbish of me, but I always get annoyed by people who just "work out" because they "want to be in shape" with no real definition or goal beyond that.  Granted that's just me, and I'll admit, it's easy for me to take the view I have since my training life has always been about some purpose.  When I started lifting weights in high school, it was to get better at swimming, when i returned to lifting later in life it was to get better at capoeira, now I do it to get better at lifting and of course to keep supplementing martial arts.

        To me, the end result of training should always be play.  Go play something.  Do Crossfit, Do P90X, Do Insanity, Do Whatever it is that's out there, but for god's sake, don't just do those workouts to get good at those workouts.  Get outside and play, get in the gym and play, get in the pool and play, get on the mats and play, hell, get in the park with your dog and your kids and PLAY.  In the end, it's just better for everyone.

  
Alright, now give me a jab-hook-hook...

      I need to really make a concerted effort to get my steady state cardio back in.  Now that we have some summer-ish weather here in the bay, Tribull is tossing in a Saturday outdoor conditioning class, which I'm thinking I might every other with Saturday Kajukenbo.  My main goal right now is to get the fat off and get back to fighting weight.  Almost there, the CrossPit classes at least feel good, i've only been doing them for about 2 weeks, so we'll see what the effect is in another 6 weeks or so.  Trying to tweak my diet out a bit too and still get to the gym, but lifting is taking a tiny bit of a backseat.  Need to figure out how to slot it in properly, it's easy enough, just need to make sure I get into the office early enough.  If i made any resolution this year, it's that i'm done crunching.
  • Barbell Bentover Row: 135x5,155x5,165x5,185x5,185x5,185x5
  • Dumbbell Bench Press: 60x5, 70x5, 75x5, 75x5, 75x8
  • TBar Row: 115x8, 120x8, 120x8, 120x8
  • Incline Dumbbell Bench: 60x8, 65x8, 65x8, 65x8
  • A1. Midpull w/Hold: 45 3x12
  • A2. Lateral Raise: 17.5 3x12
  • Dumbbell Snatch: 60x5, 70x5, 70x5
        This ended up smoking me a bit more than I thought, which made CrossPit all kinds of brutal fun.  Great workout tho, got revved and slept awesome...
  • Warmup: Jog, Pushup, Jog, Crunch
  • A1. Heavy Bag Spin 3x60s
  • A2. Sprawl To Ground and Pound 3x60s
  • A3. Shoot (length of the mat, down and back) 3x60s
  • A4. Hip Escape ( " ) 3x60s
  • A5. Bag Punch 3x60s
  • A6. Bag Kick 3x60s
  • B1. Knees x60s
  • B2. Double Knee x60s
        Crazy shit, can't wait till Thursday...

Today's TrainingTune: 12 Hundred - Mushroomhead

No comments:

Post a Comment