Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Legs They Are Sausages

So I wore gear for the first time ever tonight. I figure if I'm going to compete in strongman, I may as well get every advantage I can.

My legs looked like two hairy sausages, except for the areas that the suit ripped the hair off of. That kinda hurt.


Also apparently the camera adds 10 pounds to my stomach as well as my bald spot...


A1. Deadlift

8 x 135#
5 x 225#
3 x 275#
1 x 315# suit on, straps down
1 x 365 straps down
2 x 0 x 405# straps up- suit was biting hard on my right side, and with the straps upit was way harder to get down to the bar
2 x 0 x 405# straps down. This is hard.
1 x 405# straps down woooooooo
1 x 405# straps up bigger woooooooo

B1. Snatch

4 x 45#
2 x 65#
2 x 85#
1 x 105#
1 x 120#
1 x 135#
.5 x 135# I got under it but couldn't stand it up
.5 x 135# I got under it but lost my balance
1 x 135# 
.5 x 135# I got under it but couldn't stand it up 

Overall a great day in the gym. Jessica PR'd her geared squat at 325# and made it look easy!

I'm gonna look into maybe squat briefs for squatting, and see if they help at all with deadlifting. For now I'll keep learning the suit.

Video after the jump, be warned that I am a shirtless fatty in the deadlift suit. Watch at your own risk :)


7 comments:

  1. Oh crazy, i didnt know you could strongman geared...don't hurt yourself before the meet, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like some meets allow it and some don't. WSM you'll see some guys wearing suits under their shirts/shorts, others go raw. I figure I should learn all the angles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the video it doesn't look like you're using wood bottom shoes in the snatch, correct? That could very well help you stabilize and keep the hold when you get under it.

    KEEP IT UP!!! GET AFTER THAT ISH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wearing New Balance Minimus. I used to wear Chucks for squat and Oly lifts, and wrestling shoes for deadlifting, but found these and like them for the non-Oly stuff. Maybe I should move back to Chucks for Oly?

    and thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried the wood souls? I'd really suggest them if you're going to do competition Oly work. They do make a huge difference and the profession world is incessant about them. You can read a quick why here:

    http://gwenweightlifting.blogspot.com/2010/01/why-weightlifting-shoes-why-good-bar.html

    here's another read with a vid (it's an add, but it does show exactly why they're better)

    http://www.crossfitfly.com/more-shoes-i-knew-i-liked-this-sport/

    There's quite a few links at the bottom of that one to look at some shoes as well, but I dig the adidas:

    http://www.shopadidas.com/product/mens-weightlifting-adistar-weightlifting-shoes/83827?cid=561107&breadcrumb=u2Z1z13y9nZ1z13y9u

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and a link to their training line:

    http://www.shopadidas.com/men-training-sport/_/N-u2Z1z13y9nZ1z13y9u

    they've got other weightlifting shoes as well, but the wood soles are money!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome man, I'll check these out! My plan is to compete strongman, so I'll likely be wearing boots, but I want something good for deadlifting/squatting.

    ReplyDelete