Tuesday, January 3, 2012

And Now, a Post by Someone Who Isn't Seth Gibson(tm)

First time back at the gym this year. Nice to see that my muscles haven't fallen off due to my non-adherence to strict brotocol during my week in Texas. Now that I'm away from all the delicious tex-mex, I can get back to my life of brotien shakes, 6+ meals a day, and spending hours in the curl rack.

On a slightly more serious note, I do feel kinda like a bitch after today. I just didn't have it in me to go through my Deadlift set. Possibly a consequence of diet, but that's just too bad. Probably also a consequence of not enough rest time between sets on my other lifts, and that's something I need to correct by waking the fuck up when my alarm goes off. Ah well, they can't all be 1000 point days.

On a final note, I saw something that scared me. Some kid was getting a session in with one of Corpogym's personal trainers, and was doing smith machine squats. The kid had his legs out in front of him and was leaning into the bar to balance himself as he squatted! And the trainer was cool with this! Man, I always heard trainers weren't necessarily good, but god damn. I'm not a doctor or nothing, but that sounds like it'd fuck you up when you actually start lifting actual weight (guy was only lifting like 75 lbs). What's the etiquette for that? Do I step in and say something? Do I leave a business card with the url for Starting Strength wiki in the kid's locker? Do I mind my own business?


Enough blabbering. Lifts!

Foam Rolling:

  • 5:00 mins
Barbell Box Squat:
  • 45# x 5
  • 45# x 5
  • 95# x 5
  • 115# x 5
  • 135# x 3
  • 155# x 2
  • 190# x 5
  • 170# x 7
  • 150# x 10
Man, 150 never felt so tough. Feels good to squat again, and it's nice not not feel pain at my top set.


Barbell Bench Press:
  • 45# x 5
  • 45# x 5
  • 55# x 5
  • 65# x 5
  • 75# x 3
  • 85# x 2
  • 105# x 8
  • 95# x 9
  • 85# x 10
And this is where I didn't enough rest in between sets. Hitting 105#x8 felt so goddamned good that I just wanted to keep going. I'm not sure if RPT is right for this lift because it's so low. Either way, I'm happy with it, and I'm gonna add weight to this one next time. Yay progress!


Barbell Deadlift:
  • 95# x 5
  • 95# x 5
  • 135# x 5
  • 165# x 3
I know right! My best lift! And I totally bitched out of it! By the time I got to DL, I just wasn't feelin' it. I was tired and had no focus and bla bla bla excuses excuses.  I wish Seth were here, he could punch me for wussing out or something.

2 comments:

  1. Actually a smith machine squat with feet in front and a sleight incline into the bar targets a different part of the quad and also moves focus to the hammy's. It is perfectly safe and a move that a lot of body builders use to build hammy def.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww yeah, Welcome Back! New Year, New PRs!!

    ReplyDelete