Saturday, February 18, 2012

Geared Up For Squats

Tried a squat suit for the first time ever today. It was quite the experience... I have bruises in areas that I never ever wanted to have bruises. Guys, you know what's I'm saying.

Overall it went well, couldn't quite PR 405# (not deep enough), but 385# was close and felt way easy. I can get more than 405# once I learn the suit. At least I hope... these bruises need to be worth it.


A1. Squat (geared)

8 x 135#
5 x 185#
3 x 225#
2 x 275#
1 x 315# suit on
2 x 1 x 335#
1 x 365# just parallel
1 x 385# straps up. barely low enough, but Jess says to count it, so it's a PR.
.5 x 405# not deep enough

Man, watching the video, I was quite the whiner today. And none of those squats look deep enough, no sirree. But I'm learning, right? I have no plans to become a gear whore, but if I am gonna compete in strongman, I'd like to have the knowledge of and experience with gear for meets that allow it...

B1.1-Arm Row

5 x 5 x 110# 

Harder than usual on account of sore biceps from Atlas Stones on Thursday.
       
C1. Farmer Hold

3 x 15s x 215# per hand

Hadn't done grip work in a while, so it's no surprise I had no endurance on these. It'll come back.

Overall, a great session. My posterior chain wants to die.

Videos!


4 comments:

  1. Man I miss heavy squats...but my back just don't put up with them anymore - what shoes you wearing? :D

    Those farmer holds look like something I need to get in on!

    Love it! Straight work bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my back isn't putting up with them right now, but it's nothing a little ice and a little wine won't cure :)

    Shoes are still my New Balance Minimus. They work well enough for now, too many things to spend money on these days to get the weightlifting shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, and the minimus is the choice I'd go with over the chucks to be honest...or a pair of Nike's as well. My TA just got a pair, and I love them, might have to grab some up myself. But I'm also looking at the addidas version of the 5 toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to use Chucks (still have them), and heard the NBs were good. I use Merrills for stones, I may try those out to squat next time (at the suggestion of my wife)- the NBs spread my feet involuntarily since they are all mesh.

    ReplyDelete