Sunday, February 26, 2012

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Busted Toilet Valve

This week has been hectic due to a flooded house on top of extra days commuting, but here it is.

FEB 17 2012

Second day with our new JiuJitsu coach. I really should have skipped to finish drying out my house, but since I knew one of our guys was going to miss, I didn’t want the team to make a bad impression. My house flooded Wednesday night/Thursday morning due to a toilet valve malfunction and I’m now trying to clean out all the water and get everything dried out before it mildews and mold sets in.

In JJ, Coach M had us show him how we do the arm bar, and then showed us the way he likes to do it with the cross grip instead of the way we tend to cup the elbow and such. Overall, very similar in principle with some variations that we can use. We drilled arm bars and sweeps, and then did some guard pass drills. Each of us would do 3 minutes on top and 6 minutes on bottom. Bottom guy trying to sweep or submit, top guy trying to pass or submit.

After that, we switched to rolling and started standing (finally…I never liked starting from knees). We did 3 x 5 minute rounds. I worked too hard and got caught too many times, but it was better than last time. Slowly getting my grappling chops back.

I skipped sprints to go home and work on the house. I met the guys with E at 7:00pm for weights. Here was the night.
  • Front Squats
    • 45 x 8
    • 65 x 6
    • 95 x 5
    • 135 x 5
    • 155 x 5
    • 165 x 5
    • 165 x 3
  • Bench Press
    • 45 x 8
    • 65 x 6
    • 95 x 5
    • 145 x 5
    • 195 x 5
    • 215 x 4
  • Deadlift
    • 135 x 5
    • 185 x 5
    • 225 x 5
  • Clean and Press
    • 135 x 5
    • 135 x 5
I know. Weird workout sets and such, but tis has been a weird week already and we were running out of time in the gym before they closed.

FEB 21 2012

Today I was beat. The combination of days of post-flooding clean-up, training, extra days in Sarasota commuting, and the usual training lead me to want to sleep for the extra hour this morning. I skipped my normal run with M and went in to training at 9:00am. Today, we were dealing with the possible loss of a teammate, and we spent some time talking about that. After that, we hit  the training. Back and forth up and down the floor. Flow drilling with changes. One guy fighting forward, the other backward. Slowly adding in kicks, and working more angles, without any specific combinations. Just exploring and reacting. Experimenting on one another like well-punished lab rats. I worked with A. He adapts and improvises quickly, and I was having a lot of fun working with him as we each tried to bait the other with repetition and difference. Repeat a pattern, study the reactions, then change it up exploiting any perceived openings.

After long rounds of this, we started working on grappling control drills. Tugging, pushing, smashing heads, using the head as a weapon. Then switch to striking, then back to grappling. A and I started sneaking in shots and mixing the two where we saw clear opportunities to keep one another on our toes. This was fun. I’ll be sore tomorrow.

FEB 22 2012

This morning the team had our 8:00am Jiu-Jitsu session with M and our new wrestling coach (big E) came in to meet M and work with us a bit. We drilled BJJ for about 20 minutes first. We worked on the arm bar M had showed us last week. We then started working his triangle and a fight position from which he likes to do a lot of work for MMA. Big E then jumped in and we drilled  a double-leg and a snatch single. We also worked on a couple defenses including a really nice kick out. After that, we went to grappling drills. One of us would be given the single and try to finish it and the other would try to escape or reverse. Good stuff. Near the end, I strained a hamstring and spent the last round stretching it out.

After we finished up, we headed to the park for light sprint day. I did the sprints after stretching more. I went lighter (not pulling hard with the hamstrings), but still finishing ahead of A. We did 3 rounds. Felt good afterward. But HUNGRY.